Three ways to effectively kill mildew and keep your bathroom squeaky clean:
- A mixture of bleach and warm water. Bleach is an effective way to kill mildew, however it can be toxic and emit strong fumes, so be sure to ventilate the bathroom and apply it carefully. Make a solution of half bleach and half warm water and put it in a spray bottle. Spray it on the mildew and use an old toothbrush or scrubber to scrub it away.
- Vinegar. Vinegar is great natural, non-toxic way to deodorize and kill mould and mildew. Its mild acidic nature deters mould growth and also removes any musty odours.
- Hot water and baking soda. Baking soda is another great natural cleaning agent. When mixed with hot water, it can scrub away mildew and odours effectively.
Prevent mildew from growing in your bathroom:
- Keep your bathroom well-ventilated and reduce humidity by turning on the fan when you shower or bathe and opening windows for better air circulation.
- Keep things light – mould and mildew thrive in dark areas, so if possible, open blinds to let sunlight in and keep the lights bright when you bathe.
- Clean your bathroom regularly and be sure to dry the tub to keep moisture levels down and stop mildew from coming back.
- Spray the tub and tiles with vinegar each week to prevent mildew from growing.